Friday, March 2, 2012

Back to My Old Loves...But in a Good Way

Apparently going public was just the jump start I needed. This past week has been full of great things. Before I get to these successes, I want to tell you about why I started this journey to a healthier me. As far back as I can remember I have been overweight and until I left home for college I had been okay with this fact. I had accepted that was who I was and didn't feel the need to do anything about it.

In fact the first time I lost any weight was as a sophomore in college and it was by accident, I never tried to loose the 20 lbs. I had a really busy year with little time for sitting around eating junk food and I was also pretty physically active, the weight just came off. Once I lost those 20 lbs I realized how good it felt to not carry that extra weight around and I was loving the idea of not putting it back on. I did great with keeping it off until I did a co-op after my junior year. For the most part it was a desk job, so I went from walking all over campus every day to sitting behind a desk for six months. Before I knew it the weight was coming back.

After returning to college the weight continued to come back until I had put the whole 20 lbs back on. Over the next couple of years I started to put even more weight on. I had tried to loose the weight a couple of times but hadn't been successful at keeping it off for long.

So what's different this time? This is the part where I tell you about those great things I mentioned earlier! So this time it all started when I had to face the realization that sucking it in wasn't going to cut it any longer to get my favorite jeans on - I needed bigger jeans. So, reluctantly, I went out and bought some new jeans. I packed away my old jeans, determined to wear them again because they were the most comfortable jeans I had ever owned and I loved them. Well folks, I am wearing those old jeans right now as I type!

Wearing these jeans was actually the second wonderful thing to happen. Trying the pants on was prompted by stepping on the scale and seeing that I had lost another 3 lbs. For those of you counting, I have hit the 10 lbs mark!

Once I had those old jeans on I remembered my favorite Harley Davidson belt that hadn't fit in quite a while. Now mind you, I couldn't even get the ends of this belt to touch when I had to buy bigger pants, but I went and got it out of the closet anyway. As I put the beloved belt through the loops of my old jeans I was mentally preparing myself that it wasn't going to fit. To my amazement, not only was I able to buckle the belt, I could breath and even sit down while wearing it!

As much as I love these old pants, I am so excited for the day I get to buy new jeans again, this time smaller ones - at least with my favorite belt all I will have to do is move down to the next notch!

3 comments:

  1. That's WONDERFUL Anna!! I know the feeling if fitting into jeans you weren't sure if you'd wear again! It's an amazing feeling! You do a little happy dance!! Haha! I need to get back there. Summer is coming and I have told myself that I am not going to buy a whole new wardrobe just cuz none of my clothes fit. And I can't afford it. So I signed up for a spinning class I had my first class last night and it went pretty well! Just hoping it will give me the motivation to eat right as well!! But Congrats girl!!! KEEP IT UP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!! Keep it up, Anna! Sounds like you are pretty determined and I know you can do anything you put your mind to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Can't wait to hear more success stories!

    ReplyDelete